Wednesday 12 March 2014

Why I went to the eye doctor & stopped studying chess.


So last week I went to the eye doctor, as per my girlfriends request. I hate going to the doctor, I associate it with something being wrong with me or if it's regular check up I associate it with robbery (I've paid up to £400 for a check up in London!). It turns out the hate is not unfounded, as the doctor gave me bad news and said I have a problem with both my eyes. Who wants to go to the doctor when there is a chance they give you such terrible news?! Right?

Okay, I may have over exaggerated when I said the news was terrible, it annoyed me for the first few hours but by the next day I was fine. The doctor recommended an eye exercise that I must do for 20 minutes a day for 6 months. At first I wondered where I would find these 20 minutes from and boiled over with anger about all the lost time over 6 months (exactly 3,600 minutes or 6 hours). However, this diagnosis turned out to be a blessing in disguise because for those 20 minutes my brain is not occupied with anything else other than the exercise, so being the great multitasker that I am, I am now using those same 20 minutes topractice positive affirmations and meditate over a few thoughts/things.

It was during those meditations that I have realised that I promised myself I would try to work 6 months and rest 6 months (Proof: Roller coasters are fun. When you are a kid.) Now, during the last 8 months I have worked 2 full months. The month of November (Proof: How I made $30,000 this month, by not playing chess.) and the month of February (No proof, :P). So I have to work at least another 4 months to stand by what I said. This is why, starting this week, I've quit studying chess (I'm still playing!), and I am focusing on work and building skills that may potentially lead to enjoyable work in the future.

Having said that, these upcoming 4+ months (the + is because I allow myself to borrow months from vacation and vice versa ;-) ), I will be working on:
  • Something to do with tourism in Ecuador ( real work! )
  • Attaining the skills to become a British Mountain Guide ( future work! )
  • Maybe, maybe a psychology degree ( future work? )
  • Sorting out my eyes ( hard work :( )
  • Launch a single mobile app ( very speculative work )

That's it! Wish me luck. Also, stay tuned because I will be posting a few interesting bits and bobs on how I will carefully start up the business in tourism. The goal is to recover all the investment within 1 year. You may also hear more about the mobile app, if it ends up launching :)

PS.- Let's face it, if I studied chess year round becoming a GM would be a joke, it needs to be a bit harder than that, right? :) I think out of my 6 months off, I managed to study chess for just 3 months, with that, I am confident of breaking into the top 99% soon, I guess it gets harder from there.
Credits: Comic from the quirky little comic
Also posted at: http://unratedtogm.quora.com/Why-I-went-to-the-eye-doctor-stopped-studying-chess

17 comments:

  1. Irvine Eye Doctor
    Where do you go when you are experiencing issues with your eyesight? Contingent upon the degree of the issue, your answer may differ. There are a few distinct sorts of eye doctors and eye pros you could see, including an ophthalmologist, Irvine optometrist, and optician.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wonderful post and great advice. The Concourse Optometry Team - Julie Chen has extensive clinical experience in comprehensive vision examinations, contact lens fittings, and managment of refractive/cataract surgery. Dr. Chen is also a Clinical Director at NVision Laser Centers in Newport Beach. In her position there, she is involved in the refractive surgery consultation process and pre/post-operative care for refractive surgery patients. Thanks for sharing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gladsome to mature so more serviceable and informative assemblage on your website.Lasik eye surgery Visit Site https://yaldoeyecenter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. Contact us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks
    https://yaldoeyecenter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    The Yaldo Eye Center

    ReplyDelete
  7. The writer has outdone himself this time. It is not at all enough; the website is also utmost perfect. I will never forget to visit your site again and again. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Likewise, in some Yoga and reflection classes, educators teach understudies to fix their looks on a flame or some other item and cutoff squinting. In any case, it has not been demonstrated that restricted squinting meddles with the gainful impacts of the contemplation work out.
    Eye Care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. diabetic eye doctor seguin tx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before we start just about any service, we've got to first position the hair in to its the best possible condition. Gorgeous hair is good hair. Head of hair can preserve up to Four levels of injury. beverly hills internal medicine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jain Clinic was established with a mission of making available to every individual, the best of eye care solutions and pediatric super-speciality services irrespective of their awareness, knowledge and financial levels. For this purpose, Jain Clinic has a team of doctors with skills and knowledge at par with the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jain clinic Presenting WINTER DHAMAKA OFFER For this New year, Merry Christmas, Repulic Day, & Lohri. BUY 1 GET FREE Spectacle This offer vailid from 20 dec 2019 to 31 jan 2020.
    For more details click here:
    https://www.jainclinic.in/
    plot no.111 shakti khand 2 indrapuram.
    Call Now :9554655206

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eye Care Tips<a href="url:https://jainclinic.in/eye-care.htmlurl:https://jainclinic.in/eye-care.html
    There are things you can do to help keep your eyes healthy and make sure you are seeing your best
    Eat a healthy, balanced diet.</b></a> Your diet should include plenty or fruits and vegetables, especially deep yellow and green leafy vegetables.
    Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or having obesity increases your risk of developing diabetes. Having diabetes puts you at higher
    risk of getting diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this wonderful blog. It's a great pleasure reading your post. If you are looking for an eyecare hospital in Laurel, MD then contact Advanced Glaucoma EyeCare . We offer a range of services including comprehensive eye exams, diabetic eye exams, cataracts evaluations, and glaucoma screenings. We also offer the most advanced medical and surgical glaucoma treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interested in the best weight loss pill to use? If you want to lose weight and lose it fast, often times pills come into play. Resurge scam or not?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Common people does not understand eye problems on early stages. Still if you have nay issue visit ophthalmologist in mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe in your living room to plug in your TV and cables, or your laptop or your computer and such devices. A power strip will be your most suitable pick for such multitasking.Plug your multiple electrical devices in one place with Lyter's universal Power Strip Extension Cord.
    Shop the best wing cord online in India at Lyter & join numerous devices on a unmarried socket. Simplify your energy at home with shock-proof & power strip extension cord

    ReplyDelete